Friday, May 11, 2007

School's Out For Summer!!

After finishing up this cluster, I feel as if I will view the world much differently. I now know that many others view me as a white, middle-class, female. Automatically people may assume that I’ve had a lot of privileges and opportunities that they haven’t. I feel it is my job to be prepared for these uncomfortable situations and let others know that even though I may have experienced white privilege during my lifetime does not mean that I haven’t experienced my share of hard times or even discrimination based on gender. After learning and figuring out what sociological imagination is, I feel as if I have a better understanding of individuals. I know what my values are, I know what I believe, and I can bet that at some point my beliefs and values will be challenged, but it is up to me to draw the line. I know now that it is important to stay media literate as well as keep up-to-date with the news. How I choose to do this is my choice. I am my own gatekeeper. I can surf the channels, radio stations, and web as I choose. I will stay informed at my own free will. I am ready to be done with college and move into the ‘real’ world and be a grown up!


Audios Amigos!


You are educated. Your certification is in your degree. You may think of it as the ticket to the good life. Let me ask you to think of an alternative. Think of it as your ticket to change the world.
Tom Brokaw

1 comment:

B. Weaver said...

"Education, therefore, is a process of living and not a preparation for future living." --John Dewey