Wednesday, January 24, 2007

media...what what?

i considered how i use media and i'm sure that my media use limits my reality in many ways...i never read the newspaper, i rarely watch the news, i sometimes see headlines on msn.com, really the only place i hear about any type of news is when i talk to my dad on the phone...this really limits my reality because while im here in my own lil bubble at westminster world war 3 could be starting and i wouldnt know about it because it might not be something my dad felt to tell me that was important...

if i engaged in more media i would probably be more knowledgeable about what was going on in the world as far as news goes by reading the newspapers and watching the news, but i also might not have as much time to work on my school work, hang out with my friends, talk on the phone, be on im :) but by spending more time on the phone/im/facebook i really am engaging in more media and am becoming more knowledgable by learning about what is important and what is going on in my friends and families lives

if you analyze messages, the meduim, and the gatekeepers critically you might never believe any of the news that you hear in the media....you might say o well this person couldnt possibly know this and this reporter wasnt actually there to film that story so they dont know exactly what happened...if you really analyzed the messages, meduim, and gatekeepers there would be at least one thing that you could find in each type of media that would keep you from either believing it, watching it, reading it, listening to it, etc.

i have a lot of stereotypes and pictures that fill my head that would pry take up this whole blog if i decided to type them all out...one of the major stereotypes that i have that helps me to navigate the media is that the newspaper is boring... therefore i will look through the newspaper at the pictures and ads and headlines and if anything catches my eye i might read about it (for example every friday when the holcad comes out i'm sure to snag one...take a look at the pics...if i see anyone i know or anything interesting i might skim the article...it really takes an interesting or really well written article to grab my attention to read the whole thing)...i would never just sit down and read the newspaper...also i love to travel and if i happen to see a headline about somewhere where i've been or really want to go i will usually read that article...

No comments: