Friday, March 30, 2007

Grey's Anatomy

One of my favorite TV shows is Grey’s Anatomy. When I first started watching Grey’s it was on Sunday evenings at 10pm after Desperate Housewives (my other favorite). As of March 28, 2005 right after the show came out and was on Sunday evening’s the ratings proved that the show retained 67% of Desperate Housewives viewers and averaged 16.2 million viewers.

This season the show was moved to Thursday nights at 9pm. The ratings did not drop after the show moved to Thursdays, in fact, I think they may be higher than before, so it obviously seems like Grey’s has a lot of loyal viewers that would follow the show to any night or time slot. According to Zap2it , Grey’s is ranked third in the Top 20 Network Primetime Series: Total Households. Now for household ratings Grey’s is ranked 14/4/22.0 in ratings/share which is about a 16,008,000 household audience. Zap2it states that this is about 22,304,000 viewers. Grey’s seems to have a wide population of viewers, although CBS airs its show CSI: Crime Scene Investigation at 9pm on Thursdays. Seems to me as if Grey’s still does quite well airing at the same time.

Now I know that these numbers are not exactly correct. My friend watches Grey’s at its normally scheduled time and while she is watching it, she tapes it for me. I miss Grey’s every week due to dance practice so I watch it either later that evening or Friday morning. After I watch it, I usually have several other friends who will borrow the tape to watch it as well. I know that many other people do this because there are over 100 members in our dance organization who all miss Grey’s each week. Therefore, the recorded number of viewers is not always correct, because they can record that my friend is watching it, but then they cannot record how many viewers view my tape of the recorded episode.

Seeing how high the ratings are even though I know that they are not always accurate leads me to believe that Grey’s will not be cancelled anytime soon. The ratings have steadily increased since Grey’s Anatomy was first shown, so I have faith that the numbers will continue to rise and I will be able to view brand-new episodes of my favorite show for many seasons to come.

No comments: